Testing The Class Path:
So before we get into detail about creating classes, lets create a very simple class just to test that Flash is indeed looking for classes in the class path we just added.
Creating a Test Class:
- In Flash go to File>>New.
- In the New Document Dialog Select ActionScript File.
- Click OK.
- Place the following code into the document:
trace ("New Test Class")
- Save the file in the folder that you added as a class path (in my example
C:\asclasses) as TestClass.as.
Note: Make sure that the class name, function name and file name are exactly the same case and all (TestClass), otherwise flash won't be able to find and execute the file.
- Create a new blank Flash Document.
- In this new document in frame 1 of the layer that gets created for you,
var test = new TestClass();
- Test the movie.
If everything is set up correctly, you should see "New Test Class" in the output window. If you do not, check the following:
- Go back to the ActionScript Preferences and make sure that the class path you added is there and points to the correct folder.
- Make sure that when you created the TestClass.as file that the class name, function name and file name all match exactly.
- Make sure that you saved the TestClass.as file in the class path folder you created.
So at this point I will assume that you have everything set up. Before we move on do the following:
- Close the TestClass.as file (and delete it from your class folder on your hard drive in windows explorer if you like as we will do nothing further with it).
- Remove the ActionScript from frame 1 of the blank Flash document you created (the var test = new TestClass() code).
- Save the blank Flash document as class_basics.fla.
Now on to creating some simple classes...
|» Level Intermediate|
Rating: 8.57 Votes: 30
|Kortex (aka Jeremy Wischusen) is a Flash/PHP developer for myyearbook.com and the lead software architect for the DigitallyU Digital Portfolio Software Suite.|
|Download the files used in this tutorial.|
|Download (46 kb)|
|More help? Search our boards for quick answers!|