Creating Pop-Up Windows with the attachMovie Method
Want to spice up your Flash project with more interactivity or simulate a UI? This tutorial shows you how to use the attachMovie method to add a Flash pop-up window to your project. See the accompanying .FLA file for the completed example.
1: Create your pop-up window
- Open Flash and open a new project.
- Create a pop-up window. Save it as a movie clip symbol in your project library. In the example for this tutorial, its called mypopmc.
- Delete the movie clip from the stage. The movie clip is stored in your project library now.
- Open your project library and right click on the movie clip you just created. Select Linkage.
In the Linkage Properties box:
- Check the Export for ActionScript and Export in first frame boxes. You need to select these options so you can control the movie clip with ActionScript and ensure that the movie clip will be available once the first frame of your .swf is loaded.
- Enter an Identifier for the movie clip. You can use the default of the movie clips library name if you want. (You will use the Identifier to call the movie clip with ActionScript later.)
|» Level Intermediate|
Rating: 7.83 Votes: 121
|Elizabeth Whalen is a technical writer interested in Flash and the Web.|
|Download the files used in this tutorial.|
|Download (8 kb)|
|More help? Search our boards for quick answers!|