A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: New FK Forum Topic-- Untapped Resource

This is froma letter I just sent to webmaster@flashkit.com ...

One topic that I've always been interested in, and that I hardly ever find the right place to post is...

Flash Marketing and Business

As a free lance Flasher, I regularly look for ways to market my work that are new, successful, ingenious, etc. Also, how do they generate business? Word of mouth? Advertising? Phone sales? Street selling? Website? Search Engines? Web Banners? What are the best ways to manage your projects? Do your own accounting?

I think many people out there (currently nearly 84,000 Flashkit members alone) would love to learn ways to sell their Flash, and what role the "business side" plays in doing so. For most, Flashing is probably just a time-consuming hobby, but for the majority, I'm sure they would be overjoyed to see some dollar signs attached to their work.

I understand that in the US it is illegal for competitors to discuss prices for their work, so that is a topic not to be discussed.

What do you think? Is it worth its own forum? Unfortunately, I am not an authority on this subject, but I'm sure there are many minds out in the FK community that could really work a forum like this.

Regards,
    Jabez
    [Edited by JabezStone on 12-19-2000 at 04:50 PM]

Since when is it illegal for competitors to discuss prices in the U.S.? I never knew that. Is that true?

caithness massiv
    this topic has been brought up before, and i think there's some legal issues regarding why flashkit doesn't have a forum devoted to business issues, marketing, etc...

the fact is, business is different accross the world, so it's really hard to have a forum devoted to something that's so diverse and ever-changing...

flashkit is set up as a resource site for flash, not for business... that's my opinion, anyway...

business talk goes on regularly anyway on the boards... if you're really interested in business issues, however, i suggest you check into some websites that cater directly to that need

Sinister...

Yes, it surely is illegal to discuss pricing among competitors in the US.

Follow this link for more info...
    http://www.hwg.org/resources/faqs/priceFAQ.html
    as well as this one...
    http://www.antitrust.org/price.htm
    and this one...
    http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/

As far as legal issues for Flashkit, the only issues that could arise are those involving antitrust, such as price-fixing by discussing prices among competitors. I guess I could see where a forum like the one I outlined could eventually veer toward that subject, but in that case, so could any forum on this site.

I think it would be great to have a designated forum for the topic of marketing ones work. Why not help break some flash hobbyists into the paying arena?

Originally posted by JabezStone
    This is froma letter I just sent to webmaster@flashkit.com ...

One topic that I've always been interested in, and that I hardly ever find the right place to post is...

Flash Marketing and Business

As a free lance Flasher, I regularly look for ways to market my work that are new, successful, ingenious, etc. Also, how do they generate business? Word of mouth? Advertising? Phone sales? Street selling? Website? Search Engines? Web Banners? What are the best ways to manage your projects? Do your own accounting?

I think many people out there (currently nearly 84,000 Flashkit members alone) would love to learn ways to sell their Flash, and what role the "business side" plays in doing so. For most, Flashing is probably just a time-consuming hobby, but for the majority, I'm sure they would be overjoyed to see some dollar signs attached to their work.

I understand that in the US it is illegal for competitors to discuss prices for their work, so that is a topic not to be discussed.

What do you think? Is it worth its own forum? Unfortunately, I am not an authority on this subject, but I'm sure there are many minds out in the FK community that could really work a forum like this.

Regards,
    Jabez
    [Edited by JabezStone on 12-19-2000 at 04:50 PM]
    I think this is worth considering, I will run it by internet.com's legal department and if they okayed it will run it past Mark.

Thanks, Scills.

If it doesn't end up coming through, perhaps the coffee lounge would prove to be a source of input on this topic.

Jabez

Eat Rice!
    Isn't this what the Job forums are for?? I think Flashkit is a great resource site and should stay that way. If you want to get a job, do what everybody says. Study, gain experience, and get out there. You just cant sit there with a website and hope someone hires you. You have to go sell your skills. Go out to some local place that might want a website. Tell them you can make one at a reasonable price. You hafta start somewhere. After awhile, your portfolio will grow and then you can tackle bigger things, get a job as part of a web team,, and make lotsa money. Its all about selling your skills. I know its not that easy but everybody knows the basics. It just takes time, patience, and a lot of hard work.