A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Interview Tips.

Interview Tips.

I have an interview for a multimedia graphic design job on Tuesday, it involves making graphics for web, CD, TV, print etc.

I need your tips on how to deal with interviews and some common questions ("What are your weak points?" - ). I will be asked to show some of my work, as well as explain why I came to such design decisions.

I'm new to this, so any tips other than the offering of bribes and cliché compliments are appreciated.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    I always enjoy telling the interviewer that if they really want to know where I plan to be in five years, it's leaning over them as they scrub the company's executive toilet with a ragged toothbrush, demanding that that they make it sparkly and smelling springtime-fresh.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

http://interview.monster.com/archives/attheinterview/
    this has some good advice.
    google for "how to deal with interviews" or similar if you need more.

teamwork
    listening
    always for the client
    explore
    plan
    achieve
    personnality
    self-directed
    access
    opportunity
    occupation

those are all keywords that you can mix whit your line of your choice.

Never forget, Attention Interest Desire Action
    I ask you all to concentrate really hard on the freedom of all being. Its hard not to be very angry it is impossible We have to focus this confusion frustration helplessness feeling into a creative outlet Anger can spawn such amazing creativity through Street art Free art to teach each other know each other a language our evolution Go ahead and break some dumb rules

one of the biggest mistakes candidates make when i interview them is they use 'we' instead of 'i'. so many people will claim projects and portfolio work as theirs, but when you drill down you realize that they only did the graphics or the testing. make it clear what YOU did. try to avoid using 'we' when describing your previous work.

do not lie, even the littlest bit. most hiring managers have a zero tolerence policy...i know i do.

when they ask you if you have any questions, NEVER SAY NO!!! and never start off with a salary question. prepare 10 questions, and jot down 5 during the interview. ask questions about the manager - style, experience, etc. remember, you are interviewing them too. my interviews are always half probing the candidate, half recruitment/selling of the company. i expect candidates to know enough about the company to ask meaningful questions...which brings me to my next bit of advice...

know everything about the company. ask about the CEO. ask about the annual revenue. ask about future plans. ask about clients. this is huge - when people don't know about our company, or don't ask...i don't call them back.

even if it's a design job in the trendiest part of town, you dress as formal as you can afford. this means a suit, not a shirt and tie, not pants and a sports jacket...a SUIT! we wear flipflops and shorts here in the office, so you can always spot the candidates when they are on site in their uncomfortable suits.

do not arrive early. sit in the parking lot, and walk in the door with 1 minute to go. do not arrive late either, but that's a given.

do not discuss anything from your previous jobs that you shouldn't, and don't do anything illegal. two years ago i interviewed the lead developer for MTV's intranet, and he actually gave me the password to login to it. HUGE RED FLAG - didn't get the job.

i could go on and on...just be yourself, and let your work speak for you.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Originally posted by nordberg

i could go on and on...just be yourself, and let your work speak for you.
    clap clap clap clap clap !!!
    Nice one Nord !
    the overall thing..
    I ask you all to concentrate really hard on the freedom of all being. Its hard not to be very angry it is impossible We have to focus this confusion frustration helplessness feeling into a creative outlet Anger can spawn such amazing creativity through Street art Free art to teach each other know each other a language our evolution Go ahead and break some dumb rules

Originally posted by darkstar
    http://interview.monster.com/archives/attheinterview/
    this has some good advice.
    google for "how to deal with interviews" or similar if you need more.
    Oh man a lot of those tips are such corporate cliché's I don't think I could bring myself to say them.

Thanks for the tips nordberg, in particular about being yourself. I'm not good at adopting false personas.

one more thing...

if you smoke, do not have one in the car on the way to the interview. in fact, don't have one at your home before you leave. better yet, don't even have one that day. if you have to have one, do so and then take your shower.

i know this is sad, but it's the world we live in. some non-smokers are nazi's, and an interview is a bad place to have this conflict.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

well, thanks for the insult, i was only trying to help.
    clichéd? i did'nt think so, seemed common sense to me.
    each to their own i suppose.

Theres some good in everthing.

I'm not insulting you, it just that some of the tips in those article seemed so contrived and would make me come off as some sort of corporate lick arse.

I don't smoke so I have no worries there.

one more thing...

if you smoke, do not have one in the car on the way to the interview. in fact, don't have one at your home before you leave. better yet, don't even have one that day. if you have to have one, do so and then take your shower.

i know this is sad, but it's the world we live in. some non-smokers are nazi's, and an interview is a bad place to have this conflict.
    I think the withdrawl would be a worse way to face an interview.

Originally posted by nordberg
    one more thing...

Yup, its true... we've... well, I say we... my boss hired this girl, who is really just some eye candy for the office/receptionist, but didn't check if she smoked or not.

She does, so when her 3 months tempory is up, she's out of work.

She's also *****e at her job, so would be going regardless.

I wouldn't hire a smoker.

Why wouldnt you hire someone just because they smoke? Big deal, if they're right for the company, great at their job, and a great person, you'd let the fact that they smoke get in the way of hiring them?
    It's not like they smoke in the office, they might smell a bit...so do non-smokers though too.

Just an odd reason to not hire someone in my opinion. Would you actually ask if they smoked or not in an interview?

i never said that i wouldn't hire a smoker. i smoked for years, and would have no problem hiring a smoker (in fact, i just did). if anything, smokers will probably work more since they won't have to leave early to hit the gym. but seriously, someone gave me that advice once and i fully beleive in it. there are a lot of anti-smoking nazi's out there, and some of them WILL turn you down because of it (whether they know it or not).

Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

I was responding to MarkP's last post where he stated that he would not hire a smoker.

Nords, I can totally understand your point. When i come in from having a smoke in the middle of winter, i get a lot of dirty looks, but i could care less. It is a good idea when going into an interview though because you DO want to make a good first impression.

ignore all this rubbish it all comes down to being urself and be truthful... if i doesnt work out then u aint rite there and prob wont work out ne way....

Peace - Just in Heaven koolbabs2000's Avatar
    Dont think much about it pal.
    Just go and do it.
    You will get through....
    All the best.
    I dont think anybody can discriminate
    U for a job on teh basis of smoking surely.
    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
    - The Mahatma.

Mang what a zombie thread.

Anyway I didn't get the job, "We will get back to you in a week"...

Surprisingly they did not ask me any of the typical questions and barely even looked at my work, all they did was to just took a look at what experience I have (which is little commerically). The ironic thing is that they were looking for someone who was inexperienced so that they could take them under their wing (read: pay them next to nothing).

one tip: don't sniff coke before you go to your interview.
    I thought it would make me more sharper you know.

it dind't work out at all.
    catch the blast of a hype verse