A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Photoshop batch question

Photoshop batch question

Yes..Im sure this would be MORE appropriate in the D&G section..."BUT"..it not very busy in there, and I need an answer (hopefully quick)

I made an action for PS CS (or 7) to just resize all my pictures in a certain directory. But if it is a .JPG file..it always prompts fo the QUALITY box. How can I get around this?

All I need is an actiopn that resizes all my image to a width of 100 and keeps the height constrained (proportionate to the width)

I have tried InfraView (crappy picture quality)

I have tried PowerToys (have to add in BOTH height and width values..which makes the images unbalanced)

BOTH MS PowerToys and InfraView are KAKA!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE..someone have a fix for this? Its killing me..we have a launch of our site going up soon (and all 3000 images need to be resized)
    thanks

-whispers-

Tried using Save for the Web instead of Save As...?

hmm..thats what I "WAS" using...

I had an image open...

started newAction...

start record

Image >>> Image Size >>> Width 100px (constrained so height followed suit.

File >>> Save for Web >>> Save (chose folder)>> OK..

when I run batch in theory I suppose it runs as it should...but I rufuse to choose quality settings 3000+ times...

there has to be a way around this!! Any PS guru's out there??

funny thing is...when you save for web....it never prompts you for quality settings.

note: is DOES not do this for .gif images.

thanks for any help

-whispers-

i have had this problem too, but have no fool proof solution.

one thing i have noticed is that once i save a .jpg in pshop (quality box, yadda, yadda), it will not ask me for quality again. for instance, i adjust the curves and levels on all my digital photos before i upload them for printing. i also make them smaller. so, i manually adjust the levels and curves, saving each file. then, i use actions to resize, save, and close them. since i have already saved them once in pshop, the action does not bring me to the .jpg quality screen on the save.

i know that's not a solution, but it's a piece of the puzzle.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

umm dunno if you have dreamweaver or not, but there is an option in dreamweaver where you select a folder of images and it will resize them for you and give you html for an image page using the reduced images sizes. i havnt used it in a while so i dunno if it has the size constraints that is important, but if u have it might be worth a quick look
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

i have two tools that manage graphics, and they have batch options as well. however, the quality compared to photoshop is TERRIBLE. seriously, it's a big difference. i'm wondering if the dreamweaver method would suffer from this as well.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

its possible we did it recently with a bunch of images taken from a charity golf game.

http://karebear.org/KBIAlbum1/index.htm that will give you the thumbs dreamweaver made, click teh images to bring up the full size pics
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Originally posted by nordberg
    i have had this problem too, but have no fool proof solution.

one thing i have noticed is that once i save a .jpg in pshop (quality box, yadda, yadda), it will not ask me for quality again. for instance, i adjust the curves and levels on all my digital photos before i upload them for printing. i also make them smaller. so, i manually adjust the levels and curves, saving each file. then, i use actions to resize, save, and close them. since i have already saved them once in pshop, the action does not bring me to the .jpg quality screen on the save.

i know that's not a solution, but it's a piece of the puzzle.

HAHAHA...then Id have to open 3000+ images first.. =)

Can anyone confirm or at least tell me where this would be in Dreamweaver? I have MX 2004 (or MX if need be)

the only solution we found today..was grab this from the shipping department..and have her click OK all day long! LOL..(at least it worked) =)

But I "DO" still need to make another batch for the "product list" images. (again...3000+...same images) =(

So does this JUST resize them using HTML parameters? (height ="xx" width="xx" ??) cause I believe that cause degradation.. (although your thumbnails didnt look bad.)

the Product DETAILS images need to be 100x130 (roughly) and the Product LIST images need to be even smaller..

Any help you can share is appreciated.

thanks

-whispers-

Not sure why your using save for web. Seems like an unnecessary step to me, and batch works fine without it. At least for me.

you could ust the photoshop web gallery to make them the size you want, in the options. Then you don't have the qualyty promt. And just have to delete the files you don't need. The only minus is that it takes a little longer to finish

There is always the free ImageMagick which can do batch file conversions..

Try making a bat file with the following line

Code:
    mogrify -trim -resize 100x100! -format jpg *.*
    Will convert a directory of images to jpeg, triming the edges and forcing a resize to 100x100 pixels. You can type mogrify /? at the command prompt for a list of other options available.

heres the thing:

I do NOT want to type in specific dimensions..i want to constrain the width ONLY...(so I dont make oblong/sqwat images.

Also..does this actually leave you with a GOOD quality image?..or is it like InfraView (or whatever)?

-whispers-

Originally posted by whispers
    [B]heres the thing:

I do NOT want to type in specific dimensions..i want to constrain the width ONLY...(so I dont make oblong/sqwat images.
    As I said, there are *many* options available, type mogrify /? at the command prompt. What your asking is to resize an image while keeping it's aspect ratio. The exclamation (!) forces the image to resize to the specified width and height, without it it will just size the image keeping it's aspect ration but using them as maximum width and height values. This sounds to me exaclty what u want, so just remove the ! from the command in my previous post.

A quick search on Google later, and I find this for you, it's a mogrify option list from here..

Also..does this actually leave you with a GOOD quality image?..or is it like InfraView (or whatever)?
    I think it is very good (it's a highly respected open source graphic tool), but give it a try and let me know if the quality is good