A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Getting UI on embedded movie to work

Getting UI on embedded movie to work

I'm trying to make a photo website for myself. I have a main movie that launches a picture-viewer movie. Both movies work by themselves, but when I use the code below to load the picture viewer SWF into the main movie, the controls don't work.

The non-working version is at:
    http://www.graysonschaffer.com/Grays...affer_new.html
    (click "portfolio" then "portraits")

The working picture viewer is at:
    http://www.graysonschaffer.com/1.html

I think this may have something to do with only the main timeline getting loaded, but I have no idea how to fix it.

_root.container1.createEmptyMovieClip("container", 1);
    loadMovie("/"+_global.movieToPlay+".swf","container");
    container._x = -485 ;
    container._y = -345 ;

Look for any actionscript in the loaded movie (the one being loaded by the other movie) that uses _root, and change _root to this.

A lot of scripts use _root to refer to the main timeline of the movie which contains the script, but when the movie is loaded by another movie, _root refers to the movie doing the loading, and this can cause scripts to break.

For example, in this script:

_root.blah = x;
    trace(blah);

You will get different results if the movie is loaded, because _root.blah and blah are not the same thing, as they are when the movie is run standalone.

In the sample you listed, something similar is happening with _root.container1 (it is referring to a non-existing movieclip which is attached to the loader movie, rather than the loadee movie). If you simply use

container1 or this.container1 instead of _root.container1, it will probably work.

You are a god among mortals

Thanks.