A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: font question

font question

Can somebody tell me why this is? I have a flash guestbook that uses the font "FFF harmony" size 9pt. On my computer and monitor at 1280 x 1024 res, the font looks good and is readable. On the exact same monitor with a different computer and some different computers and monitors altogether with the same 1280 x 1024 res, the font is way too small and can't be read. Why is that? This is a .swf movie and shouldn't have anything to do with the text size selected in the view option of IE.

Just wondering.

Maybe you can tell me what yours looks like by visiting www.round-tree.com/index2.html and then clicking on "guestbook".

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Adam14; 05-23-2004 at 01:50 AM.

Is the font embedded?

Also, different brightness and contrast settings on monitors and stuff can have effects on the text. Especially if there are a lot of lines or colors around the text.

No the font is not embedded. I will try that though. The font where the guestbook entries are read is the same size as the "clear" and "submit" buttons, but they don't ever seem to be unreadable.

Thanks,

embedding the font should work, FFF do say to embed their fonts.

mike

okay, I tried embedding the fonts, but it made the text blurry. If it isn't embedded, the text real crisp.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

You'll have to place the coordinates of the text on integer x and y values as well as not scale it if that's the case.

Here is Kirupa's tutorial on Pixel Fonts:
    http://www.kirupa.com/developer/mx/pixelfonts.htm
    Flash Kit Moderator . Duke University
    Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

okay, I don't get this. I have the font set up correctly within my dynamic text fields. The x and y values are whole numbers as suggested by pixel fonts. Every instance of them are on whole numbers meaning the text field itself is and so is the movie clip it is inside of. If I embed the fonts they are blurry. I have included an image of the live site from my computer at 1280x1024 res. Compare it to the other photo provided by Adam14 and you will notice the difference in the size of the font within the display area of the guestbook between the two. They are at the same size resolution, so why is the font smaller on his than it is on mine? It should be the same size as the submit and clear buttons.

Thanks for your help.