A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 Tips on Getting Help

Always Twirling Toward Freedom pooon's Avatar

8 Tips on Getting Help

I've noticed a lot of people on here getting discouraged becuase they can't start a group project. I've made up this list to help people get things going.

1) First and foremost PATIENCE. These thing take a while getting going, so don't give up if you aren't started after two or three weeks, especially if its a larger project.

2) You'll only get out what you put in. Make sure people know you are willing to do the greater part of the work load. Remember, You're looking for help, not someone to do the project for you.

3) Look prepared. If you post something like "Making a new RPG looking for help", you won't get any. You've got to sell yourself, you've got to grab peoples' attention and make them want to join. Give a story, show some character sketches, and, if possible, show your engine.

4) Build a list of contacts. This is probably the most helpful piece of advice I can possibly give you. If someone's looking for help on a small game, give them a hand. Right there, you've made a "flash friend". Now you've given yourself a reputation (good preferably) and people will be more interested in what you have to say.

5) Research. If you are building a platform game, do some of the tutorials and of course use this site to its fullest. This way you don't look like a total idiot when you're going over the file with your group.

6) Know what you're getting in to. Some projects can span the length of a week, and others months. Make sure you leave free time in your day to work on it. If you have a group and you never show, that looks really bad on your behalf and chances are the project will flop.

7) Beware of RPG's. If this is your first game, don't make it a MMORPG. I can't stress that enough. That's a hard project for even the most advanced flash users. In fact any RPG would be a bad idea for a first project. Work your way up.

8) Don't keep bumping the message if the interest level is low. Chances are you haven't convinced people your project would be a worth while one. If this is the case go back and rework your idea and give more info. Also refer to tip 3 again.

I hope these help and best of luck to you in the future.

-Pooon

Excellent post pooon.

Squize.

Thanks. I also put it in the project collaboration forum. I figured these would be the most appropriate places for it.
    Last edited by pooon; 08-17-2003 at 11:58 AM.

Ive just been linked to this from another post, and i gotta say - excellent advice. Lets get this back at the top, there are a lot of people here at the moment who should take time out to read this.

fracture2 - the sequel
    fracture - retro shooter
    blog - games, design and the rest

"2D is a format, not a limitation" -Luis Barriga

I think you should include something about spelling and grammatical errors. That always makes me leave a thread, because I'm mean.
    Last edited by ziplockkitty; 08-17-2003 at 01:33 PM.
    You wish you had a footer like this one.
    >>Shutup<< >>HomeStarRunner!<<

That too is a good point. Look a bit professional.

About spelling and grammatical errors: remember that English is a secondary language to many users. That's why it's a good idea to enter your "Location" info in the profile. If it's says Sweden, like in my case, I would hope people who are fluent in English have a bit indulgence. It would be nice with a "check spelling" option before you post. I have seen that in other forums.

Yes I agree. But i can usually tell the difference between someone who is not used to the english language and someone who has become careless.
    You wish you had a footer like this one.
    >>Shutup<< >>HomeStarRunner!<<

I think this should be made a sticky. Why? Because its important that people read it so that they dont get discouraged and anoyed and leave flashkit!!!

btw: nice work poon

Thank you pooon for this wonderful list .. I'd love to add one more thing to it, if you don't mind:

> Be nice and respect everyone.

That's it

hmmm thanks pooon!

Its kinda funny. When I first started here, I probably broke every rule on the list.

hey, good idea!

Ziplockkitty (woohooo, whats up? ) has a good idea, he aint likin' them erros gramatic and seeplin .. that was a bad atempt. lol

some projects do take time! I have been workin on Puzzled Sheep all together for 1 year, of course this includes stuff I did a long time ago that related to it. And the finishing touches always take a LONG TIME!

Man, I love puzzled sheep. It reminds me of that dreamcast game... uhh... Chu Chu Rocket.

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    As they say in 2-chan in Japan:

(because I think this should be a sticky, but since it's not...hopefully some people new to the board will read this..)

-pXw

final rule:

(link included)

No offense, but I find the search option is lousy for finding out anything relevant to what I'm actually looking for. 9 times out of 10 anyway...

well... now that i think of it, google is not really better. but people still use it

Oh I forgot what I was going to really say...
    Perhaps the time has come to split the games forum into one for kids and newbies, and one for professionals.

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    There would have to be REALLY active mods if so.

Plus, what is a professional game maker by definition?

As for the search feature, I have found it very helpful 9 out of 10 times.

-pXw

Play - Live - Work - Enjoy