A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you protect your .swf from theft?

Can you protect your .swf from theft?

What's the best way to keep your flash movies from being stolen off the Web?

You need to put a very long Action Script in your movie. But still, there are some skilled craftsmen who can crack your .swf. There's no absolute protection...

at the corner of flotsam & jetsam, just within the walls of reality
    sorry, stupid question here... how would someone steal your swf? i didn't think you could extract the swf file from the html.
    best,

Mos
    wei wu wei

Really, get.Mos??? And what'bout programz to save flash animation? Like Flash Hunter, and the like. I saw quite a number of programz of such kind, coz there are people who want to see your animation and how it's all done. It's so f****n'! I made a site and someone stole me idea. It's not good.

Hate to break it to you get.Mos but swf's are wide open to theft on the web. Nothing, as far as I know, can stop anyone from downloading your .swf and posting it on their site. Even with the coding that Tommy mentioned it can be swiped, but that code, if it's what I think he's talking about, makes the thief unable to manipulate the movie. My problem is I don't know the code. Tom, if you could help me out I'd appreciate it.

at the corner of flotsam & jetsam, just within the walls of reality
    yeah, thanks for the stupid feelings here.

Reign2000, how do they do it?
    best,

Mos
    wei wu wei

Try put this in the first frame of your movie:

void(a)<=b>"c"||0(!1 && !0);
    It is supposed to show an error notice when trying to access the swf. I should say that I don´t know it it works. I haven´t tried. I really hate that people are trying to steal someones swf´s!

And I have a question for You All: IS THESE PROGS REALY LEGAL??

Regards
    //ik.
    I cannot live without dreaming, but maybe it is just a dream that I am living...

It really wouldn't be the best idea to post how you would go about cracking a swf file. Let's just hypothetically if someone wanted it they could get it.
    Wash My Dirty Mouth

void(a)<=b>"c"||0(!1 && !0);

what's the main use of this Script ?

Standrard flasher
    you could also use flash vars! i know flash_level used it on their site. It is easy enough to bypass if you know what it is and how it works, but it will really fool anyonw who doesn't know about it. what you do is basically in the < embed > tag in the html you put a variable. then you tell your swf that if the variable is there go on and play, if it isn't, stop. So it's only possible to view the movie if it's played put inside the html code. Not exactly foolproof but if you combine it with some java that prevents people ffrom viewing the html code, it will be quite tricky to get the movie to play (once you've grabbed it with a flash-stealer program).

I believe www.ultrashock.com has a tutorial on this. Also there's a long discussion about it on the Flash Level thread in the coolsites section.

but as Tommy_S said:
    But still, there are some skilled craftsmen who can crack your .swf. There's no absolute protection...

to ikaros. Theze programz are absolutely legal. They cost much money. So, everybody is able to view one's flash on the HDD. That's it. He can save it and nothin'll help! Thiz's unfair!!! I ask why??? Why is it so?

I dont know bout you guys, but after many many many tests, studies, etc, regarding securing flash swf's, I have concluded that, there "might" be no way to provide "commercialized" type of security for your flash swfs.. by this, i mean, each of us will have to device a unique technique to protect our own stuffs.. any method that is popularized will likely to be contested..

Lemme share one of my methods without giving the full details of my technique:

On some of my works, I actually change the file extension of my swfs, to something like, section.sgg .. if you try this, you'll notice that your swf movie will still load properly (loadMovie).. Flash seems to find a way to tell that it is flash.. and everything works fine, needless to say.. this alone, i beleive would fool many flash hacking progies, and even most of the "talented" swf hackers out there.. Again, there is never a full proof way.. but with my above technique, plus some tricky stuffs I have here and there, that would be enough protection for me.. again, that's why I say, the best protection is something unique, a personal technique that you keep a "hush hush" on..

Hope I entlightened some of you peepz who seek security.

Here's the file on how to protect your .swf Just put the same Script into your movie.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Really this is me..... mentaleruptions's Avatar
    Personaly i dont no why anyone even bothers trying to protect there movies because nothing is un crackable.
    If someone wants the swf they will get it. Also there are programmes out there that allow people to take stuff from the swf like sounds, images and so on BUT they cannot turn the swf into a fla to then look at how u have created ur animations.
    The last i read there is now even a programme that will even show u the actionscript thats in a movie but as i said before there is no possible way to find out exactly how something has been done in the swf. Spend more time creating in flash and not worrying about people stealing ur work. Look at 2A for example they have been ripped so many times and yet u i dont think they really try and protect there movies because its totaly pointless trying.

Mental

My Flashkit Submited Movies:
    Guestbook: V.1.0 V.1.2 V.1.3 V.1.4 PHP Mail Form: V.1.0
    My Deviantart page: Link

to sutar:

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hlight=protect

ik.
    I cannot live without dreaming, but maybe it is just a dream that I am living...

I quite agree with you, ikaros.

Flash for kids
    As I don't want to crosspost: Please have a look on my thoughts at this thread:

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...ht=protect+swf

I'm curious about any replies

Papermouse

I now, how to protect ActionScript code. Neither ASV4, nor Flasm couldn't deprotect my code - only one way is reading flash bytecodes for manual decoding.

Mail me to ilya_cat@mail.ru , if you want to consult with me.

Excuse for my bad English.
    Ilya Shlyakhovoy
    www.as-protect.com

visit the site

to get someone elses swf go to your Temporary Internet Files directory on your computer after visiting a site. then use swf decompiler to open it up and take out or modify whatever it is you want. ******* SWF Decompiler It is really very simple. I dont know of anything that can block it sorry.
    Last edited by rredheat; 12-19-2003 at 04:18 AM.

Yeah i agree that there isn't anything that you can do to get rid of .swf theft. But untill Macromedia does something for .swf's abduction please don't advertise things ******* SWF Decompiler. I know you were just using it as an example but it doesen't need promotion.

I am currently making an all flash "pay to enter" site and i'm unfortunately having to make tons and tons of little .swf linked on loadMovieNum so its not worth it to steal them.

Thats my advice. But I still use protection action scripts.

la la la la laaaaaaa