A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Free web design!

Free web design!

Not sure if this is the correct forum but I suppose it'll be moved if I'm wrong.

Anyway, as part of my new portfolio site I will be offering completly free web design services for a limited time. If you wish to take advantage of my offer please contact me with as much detail as possible. Priority will be given to those with existing sites that need redesigning ...unless I only get a few emails, in which case priority will be done on a first come, first serve basis. Services will probably not be a full website, just the basic design (depending on complexity). Of course, interactive flash sites are included.

More complex requests will still be considered but at the normal costs (vary from site to site)

The reason I am doing this is to get a few examples in my portfolio. At the moment there are only two entries, and people wishing to use my services cant see what they should expect.

For more information check out my site (link in signature).

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    I'm up for that. I would love a free site. Let me know and I can get you all the details outlining what I'll be needing. Not only will this get you portfolio pieces, this will get you valuable experience in dealing with customers and thier everchanging needs.

I look forward to having you work for me.

Thanks for the kickin offer,
    Mat

mullet king
    dude... dont do that, its not big, and its not clever

make some dummy sites man

Quote of 2003: "You Get What You Pay For"

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    Originally posted by mx_kid

are you talkin to him or me? What with all the offers of freework out there, I'm gettin' on this gravy train. All aboard.

What's less clever, him offering it or me accepting it?

Somebody out there is profiting, why not let me assign dummy projects. Shoot, I'll pay for hosting a domain and hosting, you design the site. I get a site to build off of, you get portfolio pieces. I've been all wrong about this whole free work dealio. I'm all about the free work, anything to help out.

I've tried the good karma way of warning people off about it, they just keep flooding in. What kind of business man am I to ignore such a valuable market. Maybe I could charge $5.00 for each project. I come up with a project, my clients pay me to give them the valuable portfolio work, they get another write off in the form of a business expense.

I want in on this action. I've been avoiding it for too long.

Circa 2001
    Serpent Star, I loved your article on Cold Calling. I need something to cut my teeth on-if you have any assignments left over...

mullet king
    Originally posted by serpent star
    are you talkin to him or me?
    was talkin to junior mate

I'd like to know why you think that its not 'big' and 'clever'. I am very interested in web design and would like to carry it on as a freelance parttime job in the future, so why not get some practice in?

mullet king
    Originally posted by SlizerNet
    I'd like to know why you think that its not 'big' and 'clever'. I am very interested in web design and would like to carry it on as a freelance parttime job in the future, so why not get some practice in?
    You can do that with cutting everyone else's throat.. like I said, dummy sites.. make them up

You can do that with cutting everyone else's throat.. like I said, dummy sites.. make them up
    I have been doing some pre-made sites that can be baught, but I'd also like existing sites, so potential clients can see that my sites are in use and my services are reliable etc.

Not such a big deal that i'm offering freebies is it?

SlizerNet and other boardroom newcomers.

please go back to the start of the thread and read Serpent Stars threads with intense sarcasm in mind.

thankyou
    Living the dream

If people arn't interested in my offer then I'll simply end it. But I would like to know why you think its such a bad idea.

mullet king
    If people arn't interested in my offer then I'll simply end it. But I would like to know why you think its such a bad idea.
    How obvious do we have to make it? You need to build some fake sites, not take work from other people... The last thing the industry needs right now is people making site for free
    Last edited by mx_kid; 03-05-2003 at 07:34 AM.

How obvious do we have to make it? BUILD SOME FAKE SITES DONT TAKE OTHER PEOPLE'S WORK
    I know, I understood the first time. And from what you say it suggests this forum recieves a lot of 'free design..' threads, but theres not need to flame people.

mullet king
    I know, I understood the first time. And from what you say it suggests this forum recieves a lot of 'free design..' threads, but theres not need to flame people.
    I know, and I aplogise for over-reacting .. I edited the post a minute later

Its my mistake anyway, i've learnt my lesson and will not post such 'n00bieish' threads in the furture.

In my opinion though, the web design industry like others is similar to a competition. In the sense that the best company wins. Things like free web design are promotions to get your company on top. I don't here KFC telling McDonalds that it isn't fair to offer free trips to newyork!

Its my mistake anyway, i've learnt my lesson and will not post such 'n00bieish' threads in the furture.

In my opinion though, the web design industry like others is similar to a competition. In the sense that the best company wins. Things like free web design are promotions to get your company on top. I don't here KFC telling McDonalds that it isn't fair to offer free trips to newyork!
    don't be put off the boardroom SlizerNet, people have different opinions about free work, some hate it with a passion, some see it as a portfolio enhancer.

I would reccomend contacting some charities, they are always looking for work done for smal amounts or for free. Not only will this help them greatly but it will shine on your CV far better than any 'normal' site would.

Good Luck
    Living the dream

Work for free! Why? Cheap maybe, but not for free. Plus you've come onto a forum full of developers and designers to advertise the fact you are willing to work for free who do the same thing as you day in day out. Builders don't skip down to the builder's merchants to tell all the other builders that he'll work for free do they?

A lot of us here either have a legit company or are employed, and either set-up has it's expenditure which means we can't work for free, you'll find out soon if you mean to want to make a career out of the given path.

Don't do it for free, I've had a look at your site and you can charge for what you do, just do a discount or go down the charity route as Razor said.

Good luck anyway.
    Keep it rural.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    This isn't a very accurate analogy.

To use your choice of scenario, you deciding to offer free site development would be the same as me, an established restaurant with paying customers, repeat customers, having to compete against you, a new restaurant down the street who is giving food away.

To take it back to website development, the free trip to New York you mention would be the equivalent of a chance to win a free e-cards db setup with the purchase of a new site.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting