A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Rate my pic set...

Rate my pic set...

hey, my name is alex and i've been photoshoping for 4 days and was wondering if i could get some feedback from all yall about this pic, it is for an austrlian competition and the only rule is the theme has to be energy, what do you think?

Gone Pimin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    subgenius.com

<3
    Really good for a noob. The text and the barcode is a bit hard to read (especially the black barcode), but love the geometry shapes and scanlines

I like it as a start. good colorscheme but the image can use some more texture.

When it should look energized I'd suggest you use lightning effects
    going from deep blue to clear white to give it more depth.

But as mentioned very impressive for someone who does PS for only 4 days.

So...

Should i lighten the barcode, or lighten the background, or ditch the barcode.

Anyone else got any ideas for changing it.

Or adding for that matter.
    subgenius.com

How

hey sense, i can sorta (sorta) visual what u are saying but could you describe it a it more clear?
    subgenius.com

admirable work for 4 days of experience.

the white bars steal all the attention here. i didn't notice the bar code at first or even second glance. the text seems dull for the message it's trying to convey. i didn't get much of an energy feel from this.

ditch the bar code, it's just sitting in the bottom of the corner for no apparent reason and has no relevance to energy.

the bars bunched together don't relate energy to me either. for me, energy means movement, motion, quick jots (like lightning). the green tinted streaks are the only thing that relay energy to me.

i would make the text more of a focus, maybe the center of attention. i envision some sort of text at the center of this, something with depth, maybe even make use of 3d. then a nice treatment applied to the text, maybe white crackling effects like it had just been hit by lightning. then reuse those green effects you already have. simple but effective.

OK

this was phase 2 bringing a bit more attention to the barcode and text. I appreciate all of your opinions greatly (sense), so im gonna tone town the bars and try a lightning struck tutorial.

Here is phase 2 (alot better in my opinion)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    subgenius.com

<3
    Is it one of those Double Helix mag comps or something?

The image looks much, much better including the barcode - I don't know if it's just me, but I don't see any connection the barcode has with energy...

Yeah

it was inspired by this thing i saw on ABC about how a lighning bolt when harnessed properly could power our city for 3 years (Gladstone). They projected it to come in the next ten years and becasue we are evovling into a digital world i figured what better way to portray that than with a bar code. Plus it looks cool

So any more tips? Thanks for all your help if not.

PS. Not Double Helix...

Gone Pimpin Youth Week
    subgenius.com

Re: Rate my pic set...

Originally posted by squidlips
    hey, my name is alex and i've been photoshoping for 4 days and was wondering if i could get some feedback from all yall about this pic, it is for an austrlian competition and the only rule is the theme has to be energy, what do you think?

Gone Pimin
    hehe, you entering that comp too ey! best of luck...I was going to show what I'm entering, but I dont think I should :P

oh yeah mate, its not the .com.au youthweek website, just the .com website.

Dam you *****

lol, yeah, thanks for correcting me.

so come on... show us what u got, this could be interesting.

hey, just an idea, do u wanna make a joint entry as well? that would go off! get back to me asap (here or chickensmakemypantsrise@hotmail.com)
    subgenius.com

Re: Dam you *****

Originally posted by squidlips
    lol, yeah, thanks for correcting me.

so come on... show us what u got, this could be interesting.

hey, just an idea, do u wanna make a joint entry as well? that would go off! get back to me asap (here or chickensmakemypantsrise@hotmail.com)
    haha, not sure if I'd really want to send a mail to: chickens make my pants rise@hotmail.com! hehe j/k can you enter a joint one for the designIT section?

anyway, I think I'll go it alone though. I dont have enough time to do this. I haven't even started on my design yet. I'm working full time at the moment, but stop because I want a break before I go back to uni, so I'm stopping work after the first week of Feb, so I'll have 3 weeks or so to work on my entry. I've got an idea in my head and its something similar to this: http://chewman.plastiqueweb.com/prev...sition1024.jpg

But not sure again whether I should do an image like that one. I was tempted to do some vector stuff, but not sure :P so yeah, if you wanted me to show you what I got...I was tempted into entering that one hehe but I dont think that'd be right...I've already used that for something.

Yeah

hey dude, you can enter more than one image, and what age group are you, hopefully not mine cuz that image is mad!

yeah, if you wanna go it alone thats cool but still consider a complimation one, because as i said before u can enter more than one.

well get back to me mate, and we can throw another shrimp on the barby!
    /steriotypical aussie
    subgenius.com