A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: I want a wacom... Need some advise

Senior Member tongue of colicab's Avatar

I want a wacom... Need some advise

Hi, im planning on buying my first wacom, but i dont know much about it. all I know is you get a tablet and a pen, but what I would like to know is what I should(n't) buy and some extra info etc. I got around 75euro (around 70$ i think) to spend.

I hope you guys can help me out a bit

MzZl

chances are for 75, all you could get is a 4x5 graphire, and you'll have to shop around even then. I found a graphire about a while ago for around 75, but I forget where.

i saw them of prices as low as 50euro but I dunno anything about wacom's so i dont know I they are good. I really need some info on wacom's

hmmm...

maybe if you compare prices a lot, you could even get an intuos 2 for 75... my parents were telling me they found some really good prices on the internet, like the 12x12 for the price of the 9x11 or whatever... but I really don't know too much about shopping for them.

try to get one that comes with an eraser on the end of the stylus (pen). they come in really handy, especially for doing sketches.

if you only need it for drawing and are happy with your mouse, you can see if you can get a model without a mouse. (I think all intuos2's come w/ them, though.)

I"m sure a graphire is a great graphics tablet. it doesn't come with as many pressure points as an intuos2, but it's still got the pressure-sensitivity, which is one thing you cannot get with a mouse. I'm also not sure if the graphires come with a tilt angley thingee, meaning that if you're using an oval-shaped brush and tilt the pen to the right that the brush kinda "goes with the flow" or just turns to the direction of the tilt... hard to explain. I wouldn't worry too much about the tilt unless you're going to be doing painting-like pictures.

well I hope this has helped!

FK's Official A&A Addict
    other fkers don't pay any attention to this

<dutch> wat je het beste kan doen is gewoon wachten tot de hcc dagen. ik had mijn wacom graphire daar voor een heel zacht prijsje, krijg je in iedergeval niet die overbodige muis erbij (daar betaal je namelijk ook voor). En als je het echt nu moet hebben kan je ook wel naar de office center daar hebben ze hem ook vrij goedkoop, maar dan krijg je wel die muis erbij....
    </dutch>

just some tips on where to buy it in holland etc...

<dutch> hoi, justice strike heeft office center misschien een site waarvan je hem kunt bestellen? want die winkel heb je geloof ik niet in leiden (woon ik in de buurt) en ik moet hem vrij snel hebben <dutch>

hi The_e-Tahn I think im gonna go for the graphire2 it costs about the half of a intuos2 and it had all the things you were talking about exept for the tilt angel thing, but I only want to use it for drawing.

Thanks

FK's Official A&A Addict
    <dutch>hmm nee niet dat ik weet overigens moet je wel een pasje hebben voordat je de officecenter in kan...</dutch>

best bet in that case is to order from internet... though order time might be as long as 6 weeks

ok, do you know some good online shops (liefst nederlands) wich sell wacom's? i could only find wacom.nl but these guys ask way to much.

Happy newyear evryone

MzZl

ok I look around on the net for prices and the cheapest graphire2 I could find was 120euro but I could also find a Volito for 80euro as far as I could read the only differance was that it didnt inculde a eareaser on the pen, and no sroll on the mouse but I only care about the pen sooo could some1 tell me what I should get? I only want to draw with it and i dont care if I need to use my mouse to earease some lines.

A lot of people have had good experiences with cheaper tablets - look at it this way - any tablet is a step up from the mouse for rapid drawing, and if you get good, you can make money to buy yourself a bigger/more advanced tablet.

I'd go for it.

Oh yeah, and I think you should post in the feedback forum and see about getting <dutch> tags added to the VB, Justice.

hmmm that's a great point, get a cheap tablet, make money and buy a better one. but as it's been said-- anything that includes a pen is better than working with a mouse.

sorry I don't speak dutch.. does it count if I have dutch in me, though?

FK's Official A&A Addict
    noo don't take a volito seriously that erasure is a really great tool, it's really handy and i wouldn't trade it in if i where you :P

that may be so, but I just dont have 40euro extra just for a eareser, I just have to earese the lines by mouse is guess

Thanks alot everyone for helping me out

MzZl

The "eraser" on the Wacom pens is essentially just another pressure-sensitive tip with a different tool assigned to it - if you get good with keyboard shortcuts, you probably won't miss it.

I have a "cheaper tablet" (aiptek 12x9) and am happy with it . Its not wacom quality but it does the job for me. Had a graphire2 but the size really sucked for me (5x4) sold it to get the aiptek.( Im goin by route of make money save up and by better) But as with any tablet they take a bit getting used to. If quality is what you want and money is not an issue who wouldnt want a wacom. As for the eraser tool I do miss the quality of the pen(being able to flip it over to erase was great)and it has taken me some time to get used to not being able to do it but not that big of a deal.
    I plan to have a wacom in the future but to spend almost $370 for a wacom thats like 8x6 is out of my reach right now. Good luck to you
    Peece,
    Mel