A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] Flashkit makers and moderators please read

resolved

Hi,
    What do you think about opening a new help board at flashkit related to all things about Macintosh and Flash?
    Why?
    When I registered at flashkit (member 8???) it seemed there were only a handfull of Mac users. Flashkit has now nearly 45000 members and the number of Mac-users also grew, but we are still a minority and therefore lots of questions aren´t answered. It also appears to me that most moderators don´t know much about Macs (well, I don´t know much about PCs) .
    A new Mac board could be a place where Mac users could meet and exchange their knowledge, and PC users could learn and ask about cross-platform compatibility issues, for example.

Is this a stupid idea?
    cheers

Hey you will be glad to know we are putting in more stuff for Mac users, you will like our new sounds section

If you can get 30 users to post here supporting it, I reckon the webmaster will go for it. Keep bringing it to the top, or start a new post. Good luck!

I personally dont use or Like Macs but I agree with the cross compatability issue - If im flashing at PCs why not Flash at Macs as well

Just my humble opinion

If this is done wont there be a chance of alienating the communities (PC MAC that is)? Ive read loads of threads on "Mac or PC" and people seem to get very passionate and sometimes defencive about there choice of computer.

One of the things that is so great about FK is that it does seem to bring a mixture of designers, programmers, developers and mac and PC users together. There might be a chance of breaking that up if what seems like an exclusive area for MAC users is introduced?

More resources is good though.

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    Sounds good to me Dont use mac but I´ll back it up .

Senior Moderator
    That may actually be a good idea, cater for everyone!

Please no MAC vs PC threads, I think it's more like Netscape vs IE these days. To a large extent the operating system is becoming irrelevant these days, Browser, email, Flash, and a few other proggies. No need for much more.

I think the original point was to give the MAC users a point of focus to discuss issues that only relate to MACS. ie to concentrate the MAC user traffic and knowledge as they are out numbered by PC users in general.

There has to be support for it to work though.

I agree...

I agree, there should be a Mac area. I don't use mac's but I like them, and would use them if everyone else did...

Even though I do not currently use Macs, I would like to see a MAcintosh board due to the fact that I am thinking of getting a G4. That would help a lot.

Josh Dura

FK Junkie
    Sounds like a good idea to me,

It would also give us non-macintosh savvy people a place to send someone if they can't get their macintosh question awnsered in the normal forums .

Count one more vote for yes

Originally posted by Scills
    Please no MAC vs PC threads,
    That was my point though - i dont think i can take another thread/area which has the chance of turning into a 100 post MAC vs PC discussion which doesn't get anywhere

I use both and would like to hear a few more reasons from others why an area for macs is necessary before i would aggree to it

but im open

Im not much of a Mac fan, but I think its fair that Mac users get the same treatment as PC users.

I think it's a good idea - similar to the way the board is broken down by Flash related programs, etc., I couldn't see any harm in having a board where people could offer advice on what the best Mac configuration is when using Flash, design considerations, cross-platform font issues, etc.

Although people are passionate about their preference in machine, there haven't been any "Koolmoves vs. Swift 3d" or similar arguments breaking out, and if someone did go into the Mac boards just to proclaim "PC's rule!" and cause disagreements, they would be quickly handled by the mods I'm sure.

Good idea, me2222. Count this as a post in support.

Damn Right!
    Best viewed on a monitor

I never seen flash on mac but are their any differences?
    well i suppose so..

I dont see any problem on having a special board on that.

AndyEdtl
    I agree with everything everyone said.

Yes vote. If there is a difference

Hot keys maybe, but what else? The tute's I've downloaded and .fla's I've downloaded all work.

I mean, apart from little interface things, what 's different in Flash for Mac users. Don't use Flash5 yet, so I don't know if there's a difference there. Could someone fill me in?

Splinter!

Hello from Austin, Texas.

I have two pennies!

In my little mind Flash is one of the only apps out there that really addresses the user regardless of platform. Maybe that's why it's grown so freakin' fast.

I would be wary of PC users only reading PC boards and Mac users only reading Mac boards. A Flash user might miss out.

How about ONE board still, but with radio button if Mac or PC?

Then we'd all look at the same resources.

I just don't want to see ANOTHER separation. Let's build bridges.....not walls. Time for a group hug?

threepound.

Moderator - Anime Curator Naldoman's Avatar
    I'm not a Mac user, but the mere request points out a need for such a board.

Remember what what teachers used to say in school:
    There is no such thing as a dumb question, and for every person who asks a question, there are 10 others who wanted to ask but didn't.

I urge Flash Kit to create a space for Mac user issues. Let my vote stand for the silent ones who need help and are too shy to ask.

Even if Flash operates 100% identically on both platforms, people do not. One of the great qualities of Flash Kit is the friendly and supportive atmosphere which fosters communication and learning. If a new forum will make Mac users feel more welcome and join in more discussions, that's the way to go!

As someone else mentioned, it can be a great place to address cross-platform subjects, such as that fact that a Mac will not bite a PC user's fingers when she/he touches the keyboard. Dropping the inhibitions is one step toward global platform harmony.

Do you check the label on a telephone before you use it? Do you throw a fit and refuse to use it if it's not a pay-phone, desk phone, wall-phone, Mickey Mouse phone, flip-phone, speaker-phone, cellular, digital PCS phone, or your "favorite" (favourite) phone platform? Or do you just fumble with the keys a moment and MAKE THE CALL.

I know I freeze up before approaching a Mac, and it really not necessary. I've never failed to accomplish what I needed to do on them. Let's lower the entry barriers and raise the comfort level for everyone.

FK Times - Editor in Chief
    My Good Little Birdie

COUNT ME FOR IT!

Great idea! Count me for it, but we should have a moderator just for that forum so we should make sure that no PCs Rule! threads pop up. Another idea is for a [b]Mac vs PC compatibilty [b]forum where there can be discussions about any issues of compatability between macs and pcs.

Anyway...

I'm all for it!

Re: Splinter!

Originally posted by ThreePound
    I would be wary of PC users only reading PC boards and Mac users only reading Mac boards.
    No, no, I don´t want a separation in "Flash on PC" and "Flash on MAC" !
    I see the need for a board where Mac and PC users could find answers to questions like:
    "why does the key-repeat not work?"
    "Can I save textfiles to my HD from within Flash on Mac?"
    "Why does this not work with IE4.5 and IE5 on Mac?"
    "I can´t drag symbols onto the stage, why?"
    "I allways get a 'low memory'-alert, why?"
    "I can´t open a PC fla file?"
    and so on.

Wouldn´t such a board be a good knowledge-base for all flashers, wether on PC or Mac?

Any other thoughts and comments, why a "general Mac help" board were good or not?