A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] How do you get psuedo 3d?

I've looked in the Unofficial FAQ and I've searched the Forum but I can't find any reference to something I thought read somewhere in these hallowed pages about being able to get a psuedo 3d effect in Swish?

What I mean by that is text with depth like you might getfrom using Photoshop or Xara 3d.

I know I could import a graphic already prepared in this manner but that's not quite the same - am I dreaming or is this possible with Swish alone?

Originally posted by MrQwerty
    I've looked in the Unofficial FAQ and I've searched the Forum but I can't find any reference to something I thought read somewhere in these hallowed pages about being able to get a psuedo 3d effect in Swish?

What I mean by that is text with depth like you might getfrom using Photoshop or Xara 3d.

I know I could import a graphic already prepared in this manner but that's not quite the same - am I dreaming or is this possible with Swish alone?
    Don't have an exact answer...but placing another text scene a few pixels to different coordinates left, right or whatever beneath the original will kinda give a dimensional effect. Give it a whirl!

I think what you want is this:

Create a row of text and make it the color you want the shadow to be.

Then create a second row of text with the same content as the first and make it the color you want your text to be.

on the preview screen place the second text row on top of the first and make it slightly higher or lower and slightly to the right or left of the first text row depending on how you want the text to appear. Keep everything together on these two rows, and do exactly the same thing at the same time for both rows. If this isn't making sence let me know I mock up an SWI for you to see what I mean.

Paul

My 3d question

Yeah paporter & schallow I see exactly what you mean, and considered this as a method to create a 3d effect - BUT - there is no other way then?

Originally posted by paporter

I think what you want is this:

Create a row of text and make it the color you want the shadow to be.

Then create a second row of text with the same content as the first and make it the color you want your text to be.

on the preview screen place the second text row on top of the first and make it slightly higher or lower and slightly to the right or left of the first text row depending on how you want the text to appear. Keep everything together on these two rows, and do exactly the same thing at the same time for both rows. If this isn't making sence let me know I mock up an SWI for you to see what I mean.

Paul
    I thought I said that in layman's terms...oh well...good job!

Apparently we were both answering at the same time and you hit submit before me. Sorry, didn't mean to horn in.

Paul
    [/B][/QUOTE]

I thought I said that in layman's terms...oh well...good job! [/B][/QUOTE]

Originally posted by paporter
    Apparently we were both answering at the same time and you hit submit before me. Sorry, didn't mean to horn in.

Paul
    I thought I said that in layman's terms...oh well...good job! [/B][/QUOTE] [/B][/QUOTE]

Not a problem...Paul...good answer...a little more detailed than mine...keep on particpating!

MrQwerty

MrQwerty,
    you can do what schallow and paporter have sugested, but if you want fancy stuff check out these programs
    http://www.erain.com/fontfx/index.html
    http://www.xara.com/xara3d/

You should be able to get some really neat things with it. I want to get one of those, myself. I see a whole new world of SWISHing with it.

Re: MrQwerty

Originally posted by Ivanopulo
    MrQwerty,
    you can do what schallow and paporter have sugested, but if you want fancy stuff check out these programs
    http://www.erain.com/fontfx/index.html
    http://www.xara.com/xara3d/

You should be able to get some really neat things with it. I want to get one of those, myself. I see a whole new world of SWISHing with it.
    I agree with you as I have Xara3D v4...but it kinda stinks going to small resolutions...Xara Extreme is coming out soon and that should change the environment a little bit...for the better! Corel is great...but TOO expensive, even for me, as a user since V1. I wish I had all the upgrade dollars right now...oh well...life goes on!!!

Sergei

I will try schallow & paporter's suggestion, but yes I was looking for something more sophisticated.

I don't know fontfx (and will download to try) but Xara3D I do know and use - however am I right in thinking that I would gave to save anything in Xara as a Gif or Jpg then import into Swish?

If so, this is no different to importing any other graphic from a third party source - or am I missing something here?

schallow,
    thanks for the info. I've never heard of Xara Extreme. I'll do some research on it.
    It would be great if you guys could D/L FontFx, and tell us the PROs and CONs of each.

P.S. I forgot, there is also http://www.gifworks.com

P.S.p.s. Check out this image. Remember the SWISH interface built from "I" Food for thoughs.
    http://www.erain.com/fontfx/xroom-011.htm
    [Edited by Ivanopulo on 08-30-2000 at 09:16 PM]

Originally posted by Ivanopulo
    schallow,
    thanks for the info. I've never heard of Xara Extreme. I'll do some research on it.
    It would be great if you guys could D/L FontFx, and tell us the PROs and CONs of each.

P.S. I forgot, there is also http://www.gifworks.com

P.S.p.s. Check out this image. Remember the SWISH interface built from "I" Food for thoughs.
    http://www.erain.com/fontfx/xroom-011.htm
    [Edited by Ivanopulo on 08-30-2000 at 09:16 PM]
    Not a problem...BTW, as my footer shows...first name is MARK...last name is SCHALLOW

10-4, Mark

5 posts or so ago

Sergei

At the risk of being a pain or interupting you and Mark - can I redirect you to my question posted 30 mins or so ago:

...am I right in thinking that I would gave to save anything in Xara as a Gif or Jpg then import into Swish?

Re: 5 posts or so ago

Sergei

At the risk of being a pain or interupting you and Mark - can I redirect you to my question posted 30 mins or so ago:

...am I right in thinking that I would gave to save anything in Xara as a Gif or Jpg then import into Swish?
    That works...you may have to experiment with it...found jpg better than gif, depending on what you are trying to do...and what kinda pic you are working with...

Thanks Mark - I was beginning to think I was about to be locked out of my own thread

I'm working with a gif created in Photoshop - it's text with embossing and highlighting to give it form or thickness - I want it to use it like the explode effect - but as it's a graphic this won't work.

That's why I asked the question originally - is there a way of creating 3 dimensional form other than importing a graphic into swish?

"That's why I asked the question originally - is there a way of creating 3 dimensional form other than importing a graphic into swish?"
    Other that what been mentioned, no.

Also, if you don't have many letters in your 3Dtext, you can split it into the small images. Each image=1 letter. Then import into SWISH. Then use "transform" with each letter/image to create an explosion of nice 3d letters. Will take some time to do, and probably will be slow during the playback. But the option is there.

Sergei: Took a quick look at the FONT-FX page, but maybe
    you can answer a question? If an image is brought into
    it and made 3-D appearance, can it then be saved as a
    "Font"??? I'm a bit confused on this.

Evan (another post) had mentioned how nice it would be to
    have Swish be able to export as an .eps file. FONT-FX
    says it can import .eps and (I think) convert to an image
    or graphic? If that would be the case, does that mean
    that a complete Swish animation *could* then be rendered,
    so to speak, in a 3D appearance?

*THAT* would definitely open up some creative stuff.

Thanks

Sergei - Thanks for the info.

Can I just ask once more to get this clear:

1. The only way to approximate 3d in native Swish is to create slightly shifted duplicates (in different colours, shades etc) using text or dingbats?

2. Other than this, one can import images from a third party program, like Xara 3D for example, which are already three dimensional in appearance?

3. There ain't no other methods?

Sorry for being a dumbo newbie - but I gotta know all my options

flash777,
    a)2 colors(naaah)

b)I wish...