A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] Problems with sound !!!

hi !

I have tried to include sounds to my swish movies, but the sound quality deteriorates everytime, no matter if it´s mp3 or wav. And also unwanted clicks and other distortion are included in the sound when importing to swish (I use the latest version).

any thoughts or ideas on what is wrong ?

thanks

Willy
    http://www.alphaville.dk/

what is the bitrate of your Sound ?

Is it 11 Khz, 44 Khz ?

how did you save your sound ?

Sound

I have tried many different bitrates, from the common 128kb/s to lower and higher rates, the clicking sound is still there. Maybe it´s just me being to fuzzy about the sound, but I would only include sound and music to a Flash animation if the sound is good.

I save it by importing the sound into Swish, is there more I should do ?

Willy
    http://www.alphaville.dk/

i Did not test it too much, but friends of mind are used to re-sample the loop to a lower frequency (11 or 22Khz), and when import it into swish, try to choose mp3 format...

Very low frequency MP3 and Wav sounds all distort in the low range. If you want good sound in mp3 and save file size you have to go between 56 and 96. You can also try to download the latest flash player for your browser. This is from the Macromedia web site. If you have several browser windows open or to many applications at the same time, close them especially if they are playing flash files at the same time. If you have a demo let us see and hear it, it may just be your computer if it is older.

See also these resources:
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...oundsynch.html

http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl.../expert/sound/

From the Macromedia web site:
    The obvious advantage of using streaming sound is the ability to synchronize sound with animation. Unfortunately, if the forum is the Internet, the unpredictable delivery to unpredictable computers will produce unpredictable results. When a Flash movie is intended to be played directly, such as in video format (QuickTime or Windows AVI) or via the Flash Player, a much more successful synchronization can be expected.

Note: Don't think only Flash movies with streaming sound will stream upon playback. Actually, all Flash movies, regardless of the sound method, will stream if they are accessed prior to being completely cached. Lengthy or complex event sounds may behave sporadically if data is still catching up, but chances are this is no more annoying than having frames drop due to the streaming sound method. You decide.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    methodzero,
    thanks, this comes a long way to explaining problems synchronising sound to movie that some of us have had a couple of weeks ago.
    A nice, helpful and comprehensive answer.
    thanks for the links to MM as well, will go and read what they say later.
    cheers,
    david p.

Same Problems

I have a 128kbs .mp3 as the sountrack to the Swish(Flash) movie I'm making. IN Swish it is perfectly synch'ed (I took the time!) and sounds great, but when I play the exported file in either low OR high quality, UGH! The timing is off and the .mp3 now has popping noises in it.

I've got the latest Flash player and I'm sure my system can handle it. Something is happening to corrupt the .mp3 when it is being exported.

Okay, here's more info... when I use Windows Explorer to "boot up" the .swf file I made, the timing is fine but the .mp3 still makes popping noises (which it doesn't IN Swish development). However, if I click on the .html file that was made to PUBLISH the movie, the timing is off, too, maybe because I.E. is having to take time to load?

--Uzziah
    [Edited by Uzziah on 02-01-2001 at 10:20 PM]

Re: Same Problems

Originally posted by Uzziah
    I have a 128kbs .mp3 as the sountrack to the Swish(Flash) movie I'm making. IN Swish it is perfectly synch'ed (I took the time!) and sounds great, but when I play the exported file in either low OR high quality, UGH! The timing is off and the .mp3 now has popping noises in it.

I've got the latest Flash player and I'm sure my system can handle it. Something is happening to corrupt the .mp3 when it is being exported.

Okay, here's more info... when I use Windows Explorer to "boot up" the .swf file I made, the timing is fine but the .mp3 still makes popping noises (which it doesn't IN Swish development). However, if I click on the .html file that was made to PUBLISH the movie, the timing is off, too, maybe because I.E. is having to take time to load?

--Uzziah
    Have you tried preloading the sound content, the only thing is you will only see if this makes a difference when you have published it to the www and view it on line.

Re: Same Problems

Originally posted by Uzziah

--Uzziah
    Uzziah,

I had the same problem with a Swish created .swf. The sound was making a clicking noise at different intervals. I do know this, You can help the clicking sounds buy bringing the sound file into your sound editor and where the file starts and stops add some silence to it and fade it in from silence and then at the end fade it out to silence. This worked for me. You must really publish it to the Web for the real test. Oh Yeah! Preloading your sound files will help with sound sync.

Hope this helps

Leon K.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.

Re: Re: Same Problems

Originally posted by leonk
    Oh Yeah! Preloading your sound files will help with sound sync.
    Leon K.
    Leon,
    this has not been mine or others experience in the past. Without streaming the sound, synchronisation is very difficult as it is user system dependant, and controlling this at the time of construction is impossible.
    david p.