A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] Does Shish REALLY generate bigger files than flash ?

I read the post of Rolling few minutes ago, and i wonder why Swhish is says to generate some bigger files than Flash ?

Is it a problem of compression (picture, sounds ?)

Thanks by advance...

I recently used Swish to make some exploding text links for a site. Cause there were so many I thought it worth while to spend the $30 - but also worth while later to go back and optimise.

First the fonts are broken apart into individual charcter symbols rather than editable text. That makes a difference. I saved 9k on one page of 5 links just putting them back to text.

A related problem is that the charcter symbols weren't shared between the swf.s. So every link with an "e" or "t" was using a new symbol.

All things considered my use of Swish cost bloated file size that cost me time later on in optimizing.

Maybe others have different experiences.

Still it does some things very quickly and easily that could be worth the extra size.

anyone else ?

what's about the compression picture ?

does 5k make that much of a difference?

I dunno.. my opinion is I'd rather lose 10-15k then site around and jerk off in flash all day...

Needless to say people are on high / faster connections now than ever and it's growing... 75% of dialups are on 56k connections and then 20% 33.6 followed by 28.8 - 5%

I think the people that ARE ON SLOWER CONNECTIONS ARE NOT GOING TO BE CUSTOMERS ANYWAY...

How many businesses do you know that use 33.6 or below? Virtually none... Mainly those are those poduck people that have no clue...

There's my take... Out

purge,

i think you are right on both counts. that is, flash is a cumbersome gorilla that is hard to wrestle with...and, files sizes are also very critical to anyone designing today. i've been involved in over 200 website launches in the past five years and have yet to see a customer that did not want all the whistles an bells they could dream, but, "Make it load really fast..." and even though we are lucky to have super high-speed connectivity, i still pay really strict attention to k-size of anything...including the code that goes into the back end.

MindFix

purge,

"not going to be customers anyway..."

That's not my choice - its the client's. They are the ones paying the bills. I thought the whole point of the swf. format was to get round bandwidth bottlenecks

In addition the 5k I refered to was just one page out of 10 on a whole site.

All I wanted to say was that in the particular effect I used, time saved initially was lost later on in optimizing.

yeah!

it isn't that hard to figure out! swish exports a keyframe for every frame that's exported, flash doesn't hence the file size.

swish saves MY TIME & MY PATIENCE! yeah I know you hear whad I'm sayin' brutha! My time is my mutha ****** money!

peace

is it possible To export swf files with Swish and to load it into Flash in order to export it again ?

Yes, I am really wonder about theses file sizes. I am trying to make a swish logo with about 5 png images with tran and it seem to be a large file. I know I can downgrade the quality on those pmg but reall what is the answer?

depends on what for

Originally posted by webmaster@percussions.org
    is it possible To export swf files with Swish and to load it into Flash in order to export it again ?
    For instance.. creating animated gifs; I've used it once or twice.
    but then its not an ideal proceedure as the file size can get pretty heavy. I only used this once for a client who wanted people without flash to see other animated stuff on his pages

Originally posted by MindFix
    purge,
    i still pay really strict attention to k-size of anything...including the code that goes into the back end.

MindFix

I'm totally with you there m8.

However, I really like Swish as a presentation tool.
    Recently, my MD basically wet his pants when he saw what I had done with his old Power(zzz)point prezzy into a super duper Swishermarooly.
    I didn't have to worry about the kb's or the MB's either which was great.

Re: yeah!

Jumpin',
    Flash imports swf's the same way, no matter which program they're generated from. Try importing a swf file made by flash in the same way that you're importing the swf's made by swish. You'll see the same keyframing occur.
    -Bill