A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows ME vs. Windows '98

im sure this has been posted many times but i've heard mixed rumors about ME.

What ones better?

In a cavern, in a canyon,
    Excavating for a mine,
    Dwelt a miner, forty-niner
    And his daughter Clementine.
    Oh my darling, Clementine

Originally posted by i like mini oreos
    im sure this has been posted many times but i've heard mixed rumors about ME.

What ones better?

I'm Buff
    i had less problems when i ran '98 I think they're both the same secruity wise... the icons reguarly change, well actually it has been fair sweet lately. used to have A LOT of problems with win me, but it seems to have settled down a little. i hear it's great for games, what rumors have you heard? oh and i luv oreos too!!

first you break it
    then you lick it
    then you dunk it
    then you eat it

and that's how you eat an oreo

CapTy99.com Webmaster
    windows 3.1 is the best windows version out yet.

xp - i use this, same as me and 98.

FK Hardware Freak
    Emperor of Invincible Sand Castles

Man, ty, you use xp??? Kooool man.
    I personally think that ME rocks. It iz da bomb man.

...:::created with vBscript v1.7:::...

Ambassador of Style

Ugh.

Win ME is the buggiest, most unstable OS Microsoft has ever put out. I love and recommend Win 2K Pro. Rock solid. If you must choose between 98 or ME though - stick with 98 - no contest.

-A02

Ive had nothing but problem after problem with Windows ME.
    Its the biggest peice of crap microsoft has released. My brand new computer crashes on a regular basis.

im on ME currently, but as soon as XP is launched im upgrading, and im not looking back

not your average sock puppet finnegan's Avatar
    ME = buggy, unstable crap
    98 = less buggy, way more stable and less crappy
    2000Pro = not bad so far

FK Official Postman
    DOS

not your average sock puppet finnegan's Avatar
    Originally posted by kb1827
    DOS
    Hear, hear! Now THAT was a stable OS. I was particularly enamored of v3.3.

Oh, the memories!

FK Official Postman
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Originally posted by kb1827
    DOS
    Hear, hear! Now THAT was a stable OS. I was particularly enamored of v3.3.

Oh, the memories!
    yep, never crashed on me.

Stupid Little Dreamer
    To me, the question "Windows 98 or Millenium Edition?" is like asking, "What's better, a Lada or a Yugo?" Windows2000 is the only way to go. It's crashed only about once a month for me, and gives me excellent control over programs that stop responding.

I follow Win2K developments, and so far as I can see, the majority of Win2K users will not be making the jump to XP when it comes out -- at least not for another year, anyway. Reason? It doesn't do that much more than 2K, plus Microsoft's atrocious plan for registering (if you make too many upgrades to your system, XP will think you've installed it on a different computer, and will refuse to work until you phone Microsoft, prove you are who you say you are, and input a code they'll give you over the phone).

Ugly with a capitol F Ekostudios's Avatar
    Hidden choice 3: Win2k

Tip for all you XP enthuiasts: Don't buy the first versions of XP. Let it fall into place. Not only will the prices be happier, but there will be more third party support. The first XP versions will have very little 3rd party support due to thier entirely new architechture.

Wait about 6-12months. Then you will have USB working and most of those games that always crashed your 98 system will be running fast and stable. Wait for it

Re: Ugh.

Originally posted by AGENT 02
    Win ME is the buggiest, most unstable OS Microsoft has ever put out. I love and recommend Win 2K Pro. Rock solid. If you must choose between 98 or ME though - stick with 98 - no contest.

-A02

DITTO

Rogue

Originally posted by James Hutchings
    I follow Win2K developments, and so far as I can see, the majority of Win2K users will not be making the jump to XP when it comes out -- at least not for another year, anyway. Reason? It doesn't do that much more than 2K, plus Microsoft's atrocious plan for registering (if you make too many upgrades to your system, XP will think you've installed it on a different computer, and will refuse to work until you phone Microsoft, prove you are who you say you are, and input a code they'll give you over the phone).
    WHAT!!! This sucks, I planned on getting it from a friend, I don't wanna buy my own, I'mma call bill right now and yell at him, I think I can take him out

ScratchingEverything

100% Swedish

Hmm

I just think Windows stinks at all, Windows Ce + Me + Nt =
    Windows CEMENT !

No kidding, I think 98 SE is a little better, Me is to buggy. And 2000 Isn't really build for the things I want with my system (graphics, sound, games) So I also have Linux Mandrakae 8.0, costs you nothing and works like the best !

Stupid Little Dreamer
    DaPurno:

Windows 2000 for graphics, sound, games? Well let's see -- I run Flash, Truespace & Photoshop; CoolEdit, Acid DJ & MusicMatch; Delta Force 2, HitMan & No One Lives Forever -- wouldn't that fit the bill? I have a 32MB NVidia GeForce2 card and a gorgeous 5-piece sound system. If that's not "graphics, sound, games", I don't know what is.

Win 98 v Win ME
    well win me is the same kernel as 98 so your gonna get the same crap performance from both os's. ME was released without really being promoted, as far as i can see its like the forgotten child. It was a way of gettin the new 2k interface to the home users.

Win 2k pro is the best os currently, dont tell me it doesnt run games cos i know thats wrong. Dont say the graphics performance is worse cos 2k can enable up to 10 fps more in a large amount of old games and increased performance all over in new ones. New games support 2k i cant think of a new game that doesnt run on it, and as for old ones theres enough tweaks to make games work.

As for win XP, thats running the 2k kernel, ive used every build so far apart from 2474 which didnt have d3d in it. Cant say the support isnt there either cos it uses 2k drivers, and 2k drivers r more often than not made before the sh1tty 9x ones.

U people just ***** about 2k cos of the support when it was originally released, its 2 service packs in now and the support is there, the usability is there, and the performance is there, not to mention the stability of the os. I cant remember the last time it crashed on me!, and it even uses the system resources!!, somethin unheard of in 98, SE and ME.

If you buy ur comp from a store and its got ME on, which im sure it will, just leave it on cos its not got any better performance, and if ur on 98 leave it on. But if uve got the money and the hardware, do urself a favour and switch to 2k!!.

1 happy 2k user ! haha

PS....
    I aint no board heavy weight! never will be, but i can see pointless posts that say DOS, and win 3.1 really have no use now do they!!!??
    haha u guys r just CraZY!
    [Edited by Alex G on 06-13-2001 at 09:52 AM]

The Flashkit Mama

win98

millenium no big change . still releasing bug fix .