A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] %%% Version 1.5 rc4 (2000.07.24) %%%

Version 1.5 (release candidate 4) is now available:

http://swishzone.com/SetupSwish15rc4.exe

IF YOU HAVE INSTALLED RC 1, 2 OR 3, YOU SHOULD UNINSTALL IT FIRST, THEN INSTALL RC 4.

Version 1.5 is a FREE UPGRADE -- version 1.01 keys work with version 1.5 -- so there is no point in waiting for version 1.5

Please send comments about the three new effects to mailto:hhchang@optushome.com.au.
    Send comments about any other changes to me at mailto:dkl@tig.com.au.

New things in release candidate 4:
    - Images! Swish can import GIF, JPEG or PNG, and apply simple effects to any image.
    - Combined Scene/Text/Image tab. The appropriate tab is displayed depending on what kind of object you have selected.

I would appreciate it if everyone gave this version a thorough test because a *lot* of new code has been added in the past 24 hours.

A quick lesson on images:
    1. Select Modify->Insert Image (or click the image button on the toolbar).
    2. Select your image with the Open File dialog.
    3. The image will now appear in the Content tab, the Scene tree and the View window.
    4. Go to the timeline, select the image, and choose an effect (Simple effects only)

Still to be done (maybe):
    - Fit-to-page checkbox
    - Some control to re-assign an existing Image object to another image in the content tab.

New things in release candidate 3:
    - Cut/Copy/Paste Scenes and Actions.
    - Options button on Content dialog lets you choose sound compression (MP3, ADPCM or None)
    - Swish trims silent samples from imported WAVs (not MP3s).
    - Revised Purchase dialog.

New things in 1.5 release candidate 2:
    - Tiny bug in blur fixed.
    - Show/Hide effects are red and green again

New things in 1.5 release candidate 1:
    - Stop Sound Action.
    - Swish will no longer play the same sound over itself by default.
    - Bugs fixed in Blur effect and Mouse Event actions.
    - Updated 1.5 help with new tutorials.
    - Preloader sample.
    - More shortcuts on toolbar.

New things in 1.5 beta 4:
    - Swish now incorporates the LAME MP3 encoder. This means all imported sounds are now compressed with MP3 encoding (there is no need to convert sounds to MP3 first).
    - WAV sounds with non-Flash sample rates are now resampled to 11.025, 22.05 and 44.1 kHz.
    - Cartwheel effect renamed to "Vortex".

New things in 1.5 beta 3:
    - Improved sound import code. Swish will check the sound file for correctness and (usually) report sensible error information.
    - SWF files can now be any size (no 4Mb limit)
    - Swish checks for read-only SWI movies.
    - Scale Characters effect now has an "Include spaces and new lines option" and can be resized on the timeline.
    - Bug fixes and improvements to Cartwheel, Blur and 3D Spin effects.

New things in 1.5 beta 2:
    - Slow redraw bug fixed.
    - Swish can now import compressed WAV files.
    - Bugs fixed with Blur and Cartwheel effects.

New things in 1.5 beta 1:
    - New installer.
    - Easier selection of objects in the edit window.
    - Show/Hide objects in the edit window.
    - Arrow keys to nudge objects.
    - Align text on any edge (or corner) with (x,y) co-ordinate positioning.
    - Kerning adjustment (space between letters)
    - Leading adjustment (space between lines)
    - Content tab. Import content like WAV, MP3 (images later) here.
    - Play sound action (play any imported sound)
    - Stop all sounds action.
    - Preload content action (force content to be downloaded at this frame)
    - If Frame is loaded action. Use this to make preloaders.
    - Three new effects (these might get renamed)
    - Many bugs fixed.

A quick lesson on preloaders:

1. Create two Scenes; Scene 1 and Scene2. Scene 1 is the preloader scene, Scene 2 is the main animation.
    2. In Scene 1 create some simple "loading" animation and put a "Goto frame 0" action in the last frame so it loops forever.
    3. In the first frame of Scene 1, add a "If Frame is loaded" action and enter Frame 0 of Scene 2. Underneath, add a "Goto Frame" action, and enter Frame 0 of Scene 2 (again). The action should read like this: If Frame 0 of Scene 2 is Loaded (then) Goto Frame 0 of Scene 2. Get it?
    4. In Scene 2 put whatever you like

Cheers, David.

Dood you're my hero

I would just like to agree with the above post, "You are my hero."

Senior Member - never forgotten

Oh help...corrupt files in rc4..I"m crying..!!!

I just tried to install the rc 4 and when I tried to execute the program..it said the files were corrupt...oh lord love me..and to make things worse...in my haste..in uninstalling the version 3...I forgot to save all the menu files people have shared.. and that great water drop one..could you please send them again..I forget who did it now..oh man..I could just cry....!!!!!! lolo....

CELERYHART,
    try installing the RC4 into YOUR directory, not the default one. Make some directory name, and then try installing it there.

I'm almost speechless.....

YEEEEEEEEEE!.....HAAAAAAAAAAW!......

A GREAT DAY FOR SWISH!

Love to import images and make them do stuff!!!!!

Keep it up, because i love to blow up images even more!!!

Thanxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey I have a question, if the answer is no then I have a suggestion =). How can I import gifs and keep them transparent? I tried and tried and kept trying and never could keep mine transparent when i know they are. If it's not possible in this version than that's a suggestion =)

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    kypt,
    great question, I'm not sure there is a way yet! hopefully david m. will read this, think that's a great idea, and post saying it will be fixed soon.
    david p.

Originally posted by Kypt
    Hey I have a question, if the answer is no then I have a suggestion =). How can I import gifs and keep them transparent? I tried and tried and kept trying and never could keep mine transparent when i know they are. If it's not possible in this version than that's a suggestion =)

Senior Member - never forgotten

transparency...

Yes ... I was wondering that too..I know my little angel was transparent...but didn't show that on swish..so what I did was just took it into PSP and changed the background color..even though I used the same color co-ordinates..the background on my graphic is not quite the same as the background of the movie...oh well..!!! Poor David..I'm sure he is working as hard as humanly possible..

The upgrades come so fast that the first thing I do in the morning is open the Swish site and look if there's a new version again....<g>

David, you work hard...even during the weekends...:-)))

Thanks en greetings from Belgium!!!

Francis

I would like to agree with 21kine...

Everytime i see this message board, there is something new. He's given us what we wanted... and in a short period of time, too. Even though we all probably uninstalled swish and reinstalled a newer version a bunch of times already (and will continue to ), it is well worth it. I would really like to thank David Michie for all his hard work. I can't wait to see what's next.

To David M.

You Genious You! I will pet it, and love it, and stroke it. Yeah...hehe....

Oh yeah! Forgot to say this...your spittin these thinks out quicker than I can download them! And believe me, AOL and 56k is slooooow
    [Edited by Selfish Smurf on 07-23-2000 at 07:08 PM]

Yea. David M. calls me insane every time I do a new movie, and what we should call him. I don't know. But he is hopeless. LOL

It's 2am in the uk and I should be asleep but I thought I would just check swish - can't believe it - another brilliant upgrade - thanks David.

Hey! Before stating a simple observation I want to thank this guy who has given us easy access to Flash. Man, I'll kiss the server u connect to for the rest of my days! Well, I have made a simple observation and I want to ask (or suggest once more) something. Does Flash 4 have some sort of image compression? If it does...does Swish have it or can it have it? For example. I made a movie 600 x 300 (I think, don't quite remember) and added a picture as background (15.9k)and exported the movie. When I did this w/ Swish, the movie came out at 65k or something close. W/ Flash 4 it came out at 16.7k (Close enough). I was wondering if this was just a compression utility Flash uses and if Swish can get it from there. I don't really know much about programming but I can imagine how hard this guy's working. I just want to help pointing stuff out.
    Thx for your time

-Kypt akasha