A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Updatable Flash Events calendar

Updatable Flash Events calendar

Hi All

I am a student at lincoln university that needs to design an updatable events calendar within flash. I have found something similar to what i want to technically achieve...

http://www.jerryscript.hostrocket.com/flash/calendar/

im not sure as to how it works, which i suppose is where you guys come in. Please if anyone could help, and have any suggestions as how i can achieve an event calendar where you can add/edit notes on any given day of the month, i would be most grateful.

The calendar im designing will need to be typographic, so design wise im sound, but its just the techy actionscript side im struggling with. Although im sure its something to do with XML...

Thanks again

Peace...

It's a long way to the middle launchpad67's Avatar
    Man are you in luck! I have just the right thing, it's a calendar that works off an xml file for all it's updating, very very cool! Highly formated and looks really great. You will get an A+ if you use this. The zip file below is the original, I have one that I have customized pretty heavily if you want to look at that also.
    Get it Here

dude, that looks pretty awesome. Is there a way i could mod it so it was possible to edit the events in each day within the .swf itself?

It's a long way to the middle launchpad67's Avatar
    No, not really. The whole purpose of making something 'updatable' is to make it easy to update, so having to open flash everytime you want to add a date is not productive! It's always so cool to not have to open flash to make changes. Everyone strives to have the flexibility of this method.
    Unless your assignment says you can only use flash and nothing else, well i would go this route. Your instructor will think you're brilliant! :-))

aww, shame, because i wanted the final piece to allow the user to just click a day, and add their own events, instead of having to trawl theough xml code. Thanks for the help though man.

I made a few changes to it so that it now works in actionscrip 2.0 flash 8.
    Last edited by swak; 10-08-2007 at 07:42 AM.

thanks for the contribution, but it doesnt seem to work. nice one anyways mon.

it's an fla. publish it. place it with it's xml counterpart. place it online. it works for me. I'm also trying to clean up the code some. The variables aren't declared and this requires more processing.

hmm, yeah i tried all that, but i have no way of gettin it online, to no prevail. surely there must be a way of editing each dates events within a the published .swf, no idea how the guy did the calendar in my original post (above).

it doesnt have to be xml, any other way around it would be wicked

It works for me. I have one date on it. http://www.typhoonent.com/calendar.swf It works fine. We'll see what happens what I try to add it to something else.