A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Seek bar indicator won't go away?!

anyone else hear that? flashpipe1's Avatar

Seek bar indicator won't go away?!

I've got a flash movie with a link to an FLV. When I navigate away from the video page, the seek bar triangle stays up on the screen. Is there a way to do away with this?

You can see it here:
    http://www.designdevelopdeliver.com/...ning/test.html

If you click "NEXT" you'll see the video, click it again, and you'll notice that the indicator doesn't go away...

?!?!?!?

The fla file is at http://www.designdevelopdeliver.com/...ining/test.fla

Interesting...if you see the video, hit the previous or next button, then go back to the video, you get another indicator that won't go away...wow...you can get LOTS of little indicators...

TIA...

In the 15th frame of your timeline as layer try this:

Code:
    _root.vid_visible = false;

Hmm...that didn't work either...

I also tried:
    _root.mySeek_visible = false;

but, no luck...

Anyone??

I suppose I could create a shell swf with the controls and load the shell into the main movie and then load the flv into the shell, but that seems like an unnecessary step...

?

Get control of that puppy... put your MediaComponent in a movieClip and attach it.

Code:
    _root.attachMovie("mediaHolderClip", "tempMediaHolder", 1);
    // on next button
    nextButton.onRelease = function(){
        // stuff it's doing now...
        if (_root.tempMediaHolder!=undefined) removeMovieClip(_root.tempMediaHolder);
    }

Solved...

Yep. That did it. Put the seekBar inside another swf and it goes away on the next screen. Seems like an extra step to have to load each flv into the movieclip inside the movie, but, at least it works!!

Thanks!!!

So flashpipe1, you don't even give me credit on that [i]other[/] forum

Here's a repost for this forum:

Alright, I see why - I'm not very familiar with MM's new components - so I'm not sure how much of this is built into their system...

But when you added the reference to the vid.seekBar on frame 1_3, what Flash is doing is using attachMovie() to add it from the library - it's on the second frame of your progress bar - but only for editing and export.

So if you add this below your vid.seekBar:
    Code:
    vid.seekBar=mySeek;
    trace(vid.seekBar) 
    vid.playPauseButton=myPlay;
    //

// Outputs _level0.seekBar
    So the component must be adding the indicator to the _root level in your scenario, because that's where it says it is when you trace it. That's why it's still there when the instance of your video controller/window is physically gone from the stage.

If this is a MM glitch in the component - then they could easily fix it like this:

Code:
    VideoInstance._parent.attachMovie("seekBar", "seekBar", getNextHighestDepth(),{initObj});

// Then a method to remove it

VideoInstance.onUnload = function(){
       removeMovieClip(_parent.seekBar);
    }
    I guess you could make your own for that matter - just add this on a frame after the one that contains your component:
    Code:
    vid.onUnload = function(){
       removeMovieClip(_parent.seekBar);
    }
    But that's all messy, and you could overwrite an "onUnload" already in the component - but it works just fine from what I can see.

I would just put it in a mc and keep everything off the main timeline. If this is a MM issue it's a sloppy one.

I've confirmed this bug is a MM issue when using the Customizable UI Components with the FLVPlayback Component - use one of the above methods to resolve.

This problem has been frickin' bugging the heck out of me for a long time. Why can't I find more support on this issue? I thought I had a fix for awhile that worked, but now that I'm working in CS3 it doesn't seem to work anymore.

I appreciate the help above, but I wish that it was written about in a manner that was a little bit more general and I didn't have to decipher what I still need to do to fix it. (More of a tutorial form?)

Anyone know where I can find something like this?

Step-by-step to remove seek triangle

Hi TheJester12,
    I had the same problem, and this posting helped me fix it. Thanks flashpipe1!!

Here is the step-by-step way to fix:

If you need help using the custom components to begin with, check out this link: http://backyardgeek.blogspot.com/200...rface-for.html

Then...
    1. In your project, create a new movie clip.
    2. Call the movie clip "seekbar_container"
    3. Highlight your existing seek bar component on the stage and press "ctrl" and "x" to cut it into the clipboard.
    4. Go into the seekbar_container mc and paste the seek bar in there ("ctrl" and "v").
    5. On the main timline, create a new layer called "seekbar_container", then drag the "seekbar_container" mc onto it.
    6. Give that seekbar container mc an instance name of "seekbar_container" in the properties panel.
    7. Go to your actionscripting where you tell it the names of your components, which looks like this:

Code:
    myvideo.playPauseButton = playpause;
    myvideo.seekBar = seekvideo;
    myvideo.volumeBar = volslide;
    and change it to this:

Code:
    myvideo.playPauseButton = playpause;
    myvideo.seekBar = seekvideo_container.seekvideo;
    myvideo.volumeBar = volslide;
    Now the seek bar indicator arrow will go away when you navigate to another section of your project.

Hope that helps,

- Kent