A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: scroll bars

scroll bars

I have a project that requires scrollbars. I haven't done this before and I'm looking for the easeist way to do it. Any help?

depends on what it is you are asking to scroll.

text? or movie clips?

have you look into the FLAHS Components? (pre-built tools) they have scrollBars and other stuff for web/form building.

Hi denl, what do want to scroll? there are different ways to use the scrollbars.
    If you don't think you're going to like the answer, then don't ask the question.

I just need to scroll text and maybe an image...thx for the help all.

well which is it? also..if you use MX 2004 I believe you can add images to dynamic HTMl enabled text fields.. (not sure how much control you get over the placement and stuff though..basic HTML rule I assume.)

I guess I could get by with just scrolling text, so if someone could explain that i'd be stoked.

But, I assumed you could just have a portion of the screen be scrolled and then have a masked part be visible, maybe if somebody could clue me in on how to do that as well.

thx

if I understand you correctly..you are correct..you can scroll stuff..and mask out the prtion you want to see...bu those are movie clips usually...as textFields have their own built in "scroll" function.

I will see if I can whip you up an example real quick.

Thanks for the help bud.

chech this one out.

it uses the height of the "textField" as the "range" the scrollBar can be dragged.

(no numbers)..just X/Y cordinates.

the scroll bar is EVERYTHING..is has all the code on it.. all you need to do is have a dynamic textField called "textField1_txt" as the instance name in the same timeline as the scrollBar and it will work.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by whispers
    chech this one out.

it uses the height of the "textField" as the "range" the scrollBar can be dragged.

(no numbers)..just X/Y cordinates.

the scroll bar is EVERYTHING..is has all the code on it.. all you need to do is have a dynamic textField called "textField1_txt" as the instance name in the same timeline as the scrollBar and it will work.
    Hi There,

Is there anyway to make the text slow to a stop, when the user stops scrolling?

Found this which use a while back on my site. Works well for what I needed

http://www.kirupa.com/developer/flash8/scrollbar.htm

Using the kirupa.com scroll bar

Hi,

I found that web site. (kirupa.com)
    I built the scroll bar and it worked no problem on its own,
    but I'm having massive trouble incorporating it into my own site, which has a different set of dimensions.

I've tried putting the scroll bar layers into a movie clip and importing that.
    I've also tried following the instructions on the site and building a custom scroll bar at the right frame on my own website.

Neither works.
    The first comes up with error messages saying that flash 6 does not support this function (which is strange as I'm using Flash 8)

Building it directly on my own site produces a scroll face that jumps to the x=0, y=0 position and moves the content not one pixel.

HELP! Please.
    I desperately need a funtioning scroll bar that will hold mp3's and text that I can customise size and position wise.
    Any contribution welcome.

Cheers,
    Champignon.
    ps i am more of a designer than a writer of script. I need something that the right side of my brain can understand! Please help...
    Thanks again.

if you use mx 2004, there is no scrollbar in it's flash 7, so you need to download it, but if you use higher there must be scrollbar component which you drag to your text, and it works. What about errors you probably downloaded incorrect scrollbar. Search in google there are plenty of information where to download. Also you can use buttons and i have seen actionscript woking exactly the same as scroller, only the bar is inective as in real scroller everything is active. I prefer scrollbars. And have same problem as i use mx 2004, i am getting cs3 with flash 9 soon, hope there is scrollbar integrated in it and i avoid those problems, hope you do the same..