A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About Flash animation Progs.

The village idiot

cool thanks

Wow Boomph, your the greatest...

Buying MX don't matter now, my dad used it and he was like, oh cool, and he bought it...So I can use it all I want now

I'm a lucky teddy
    Everything I say is the truth.
    The above statement is a lie.

The village idiot

WOW!

This is my first 'hot' I can celebrate....

Hey Mental! You been playing with yer new Flash toy? If so, how's it going? You tinker with any animation yet? Would love to see your progress from 'newbie' to 'guru'! Or any questions? Let the folks here at FK forum know how you're doing!

Here to help,
    Boomph

The village idiot
    Yeah, I've been playing with my 'toy' and I'm currently working on something to fit a song...I got two questions on the Flash MX forum, one of which has been answered (and it was just me reassuring myself) the other hasn't been totally answered, and you might be able to help with that...it was on the second page of it, it might be on the thrid by now... I don't know...

BYE!

naM latneM

oh so much to learn!!

checked out your Q's on the Flash MX forum. My suggestion, and please take no offense, is that you start with the 'Newbies' forum, considering you've only had this prog for a week and half. They are very patient there, and understand that there are a lot of new concepts for you to learn to do the cartoons you want.

As far as your sound question, if you set your sound to 'start' on the first scene, it will continue to play throughout your movie until it's done. Only thing is, you wont hear it in your fla unless you play the fla, but you will hear it when you publish your swf (<ctrl>+<enter>). It's the swf that you show people online, so how it plays in the swf is what matters.

If you want, you can set the sound to 'stream' while you work on it so that you can hear it. And put that sound on every scene, set it to stream, and click on edit on the sound panel. in there, you can slide the beginning bar of the audio, so you can continue your song on each scene where the previous one left off. But when you are done, delete all the instances of your music except on the first scene, and set it to 'start' instead. Then publish and see how it plays in your .swf.

(FYI, the .fla file is the one you work on, and the .swf file is the one you publish out and is the final cartoon.)

So do check out the Newbies forum, because they will have better and more complete answers for you and will answer any question you have, no matter how simple or silly.

When you go to the other forums, like General Help or Flash MX, it is kind of assumed that you have a base level of knowledge of the program, and so people will not necessarily explain everything you need to know to understand their answers.

But in Newbies, they assume that everyone is a newbie, and will help you as much as they can to get you to understand Flash and what you want to do with it.

So face it, you are now an official 'Flash Newbie', and you need to learn the basics before you can soar. So let them teach you in Newbies, and when you really get the feel for Flash, then please feel free to come back here to General or to Flash MX, when you understand what we're talking about.

(But do let us know how you're doing! You will find all kinds of helpful folk at all levels of FK, and I bet a charmer like you will find a mentor in no time! )

Good luck to ya, latneM, and drop us a line sometime! Or post your latest creations for us to see!

Have fun with all the new power you are about to harness,
    Boomph (God Bless Newbies!!)
    Last edited by boomph; 01-26-2003 at 06:07 AM.

The village idiot

Thanks again Boomph

Yeah, I might visit the newbie forum sometime...thanks

The village idiot

Me again

This is going back the reason I started this post, if it starts the sound will play throughout, if it streams it will have allocated frames to play on. I want my sound to stream, but I also want it to work over several scenes. what happens is, I set my sound to stream and it goes the the changing point, but instead of changing the scene it continues playing the same sene until the sound has finished, how will I overcome this small technical glitch?

Hmmm, Something isn't clear to me: What do you mean by 'changing point'? Do you mean 'keyframe' instead?? Not sure I visualize what's happening on your side.

Technically, let's assume you have the sound streaming on a layer as long as the scene. The way stream works, is that it locks the sound to the frame it's on, frame by frame. Start or event will begin the sound playing, regardless of what is happening on the screen, so it will play til that sound is finished, even if the scene is over, or the movie is done playing. But with stream, it only plays for as long as it's on the timeline. So if your run out of frames on that scene, theoretically, the sound stops.

That's what's 'supposed' to happen, but there is some weirdness when it comes to audio in Flash. But let's rule out user error before we assume that the program is screwing up.

But until I understand what your problem is, it's hard to tell you what to do or fix. Did you stretch the sound to its full length on the first scene? If you did, then don't. What you need to do is what I suggested in my previous post, by editing the sound in the sound panel, by clicking edit. If you don't understand what I explained earlier, then please let me know what is confusing you.

Helping tha newbie,
    Boomph

The village idiot
    Ok, so I still want the sound to stream but I remove it all, right?
    So I got it just on one frame...but if I'm right (very unlikely) then wont the sound just play on that one frame, coz I'm still trying to stream this sound and not start, stop, or maybe event it...

NaM lAtNeM

yes, you are correct that stream will not run on one frame alone. What I meant is that if your audio comes out to, say, 2000 frames, and your sc1 is only 150 frames long, don't extend sc1 audio layer to 2000 frames. I just wasn't sure if that's what you did from your description.

Just make your streamed audio layer as long as the scene. So it should just play to frame 150 and stop.

Then on sc2, add your audio again on a new later, set it to stream again, but this time, click on the 'edit' button on the sound panel, and a new window will open up, showing you the waveform of your music. There is a little bar at the beginning of your sound, on the time reference line between the upper and lower waveforms windows. Slide that bar to the right, and hit play. Keep sliding that bar until it the music begins were sc1 music stops.

Then do sc3 the same, editing the audio so it starts where sc2 ends. And so on, until your run out of music or scenes.

So if you publish it out, the song should play from beginning to end of your movie. See if this works for you, and if not, then let's go from there...

Hope it works,
    Boomph

The village idiot
    THANKS! It worked perfect and now It's all done, ill prolly send you the SWF when it's done as a token of appreciation...

On second thought, dude, you're kinda doing this whole thing in reverse and gonna make it hard on yourself.

What you want to do is, if you know how you want to animate this song, then do some really rough animation first in Flash. Nothing fancy; just enough lines and stickfigures (or whatever you're gonna draw for the anim) to give you an idea of the shots you want and the order they're in. Listen to the song a few times if you have to, to inspire you.

Then, when you got all the shots you want for your song, then drop in your music and do the stream thing, and then copy and paste or drag and drop the keyframes of the shots to match where they go to the song. Then publish it out and play it to see if it's timed out the way you want it. If not, then add/remove frames to your timeline, or drag the keyframes to where you want them to go. And keep publishing and tweaking until it feels right. It may look like crap at this stage, but all it is is just a starting point so that you can match visual with audio.

Then when it's timed the way you want it, then go in and start doing the real artwork and animation.

Just a suggestion to save you time and trouble later on,
    Boomph

kewl! you're further along than I thought! I would love to have the honor of seeing your first animation! Lay it on me! (if it's too big to post on this thread, then just send it to me by email; address is in my profile!)

Bug-eyed with excitement,
    Boomph

The village idiot

You'll be gettin it

Your prolly have the privilage of etting my site address *COUGH!* lol..sorry it's just kinda funny the way I said it..